2026-04-24 adl to syd
Day 1 Adelaide to Sydney
Started the day by dropping Leroy off for his stay at Windamere Pet Resort. Very nervous mum!
We got to the airport nice and early, giving us time to enjoy a subway and a look through the Vickers Vimy exhibition. I was involved with helping the committee a while back and am familiar with the story, but I was still surprised by the size of it. I thought it would be closer to a modern Cessna.
The exhibition is excellent, and is hard to imagine how loud it would be sitting in the pilot cab with the giant engines so close. Dave noticed the flight instruments on the side of the engines, rather than the cockpit. Also incredible, is that two of the team sat inside the tail during the flight. Something I never realised and can't say it looked comfortable or terribly safe.
A good flight with a slightly bumpy touch down, followed by a quick train into the city (Dave and I sporting our new Opal cards), and a 7 minute walk to the apartments. We have two apartments with an enclosed entrance that presents one door to the hall, but gives the kids and us separate rooms. Very nice and tidy.
We went for walk to the world's biggest Lego Shot on Hutt Street with a short stop as a food court. We may have over stocked on sushi, taking advantage of the end of day deals. (edit - nope, all was eaten!).
The Lego shop was great, spread out over two floors with a Favreau sculpture of minifigs building the Sydney harbour Bridge, as well as many other huge models. I might have bought a few things, but overall showed a modicum of restraint.
We went back to the hotel to drop off a bunch of extra food (I couldn't help myself when passing a sushi train and grabbed the best cabbage, mayo, roe, tempura prawn thing - I'll have to try to recreate this one!).
Benji decided to rest in the hotel while the three of us explored the night market. It was fabulous. They had a band singing and heaps of fun and cute places to sit and relax. We finished up a coffee and just enjoyed a general chill out before exploring a little of Chinatown proper.
The first thing we noticed, after the ornate entrance way, was a massive line up, originating from what appeared to be a hole in the wall shop selling cream puffs. We laughed and commented on the length, then decided "why not check out the hype". 25 minutes later, 12 extremely good puffs and a surprisingly pleasant 'forced break' after a busy day.
Comments
Post a Comment