2025 Easter Getaway! Day 5 (Monday)
21 April 2025





We woke early and packed up my room before I took the big kids to the local playground to let Kieran and mum pack in peace. Well, as peaceful as possible with Charlie. It was quite chilly, but the kids had a blast. I was smart and started in the warm car. They made a friend on the playground and had a lot of fun playing pirates until we went to get milkshakes and a toasted sandwich from a nearby cafe.
The kids have both been practicing writing stories and it was great to see them sitting and writing while waiting for their drinks. They are great kids, I'm so proud of them.
After everyone was packed into Kieran's car to return home I went to the visitor information centre and checked out their display and quasi-museun. I noted it had been created with the help of the History Trust, and I must admit it was very impressive for a little gallery. I could have easily spent more time there.
I decided to look into the Mary MacKillop centre, as the town was quite proud of being the location of her first school. Established in 1866, it provided free education for poor people and was a revelation at a time when schools charged fees and women leaders were not common. The school building is located on the corner of petticoat lane, so I decided to pop down for a quick look before coming back to the centre.
I was delighted with petticoat lane. It was the site of the first house in Penola and got it's name due to all the little kids running around in their petticoats. It is preserved to the period and has a few significant houses open for the public to look through for the cost of a donation. The first was the Gamon Cottage, which I was incredibly charmed by.
The inside had been restored and fitted out with period furniture and decor. It was wonderful, and you could easily imagine what it might have been like to live there in the 1800s.
I continued down the street as the rain started and stopped into a couple more houses. One cottage, Sharma Cottage, was the first built in the area. The family eventually got do big they had to build a second house to fit everyone next door.